Headaches are a very common health problem people face. Some suffer more than others by having headaches on a daily basis. People have so many stress factors in their daily lives that range from work to home. This definitely contributes to headaches. Another factor that contributes to headaches is the abundance of pollutants in our environments. We breathe these in. We eat them in our food and drink them in our water. It is no wonder why headaches are common.
There are many over the counter medications you can take that treat a headache. Some side effects of these medications can result in serious problems such as rapid heartbeat or liver failure. Some side effects can be fatal. There are special oils that can help any ailment someone may have, particularly headaches. These oils should be used in certain ways to be more effective. Continue reading to learn how best to use essential oils for headaches.
The Best Essential Oils for Headaches
- Rosemary oil has been shown by research to help reduce the discomfort from headaches. Rosemary oil helps improve circulation and is a natural anti-inflammatory agent. This is most likely the reason this essential oil helps cure headaches.
- Eucalyptus oil is another suggested natural remedy for headaches. People who suffer from headaches due to sinus issues may benefit from eucalyptus oil. It is an anti-inflammatory agent and has been reported to help lower blood pressure.
- Peppermint oil is a very popular essential oil. This oil consists of menthol which is known for its contributions to health and well-being. Peppermint oil is recommended for normal headaches and migraines.
- Lavender is something most associated with its relaxing or calming influence. Lavender oil is used for stress relief and relaxation. Being calm and relaxed can help a headache disappear. In addition, this oil is one of the best essential oils for skin care.
- Chamomille oil is another fabulous oil that helps to relax and soothe your muscles and body. This can greatly help in reducing the pain from a tension headache. It is warned, though, that pregnant women stay away from this particular essential oil as it could cause a miscarriage.
- Sweet Basil oil works wonders for individuals that suffer from headaches due to hormonal imbalances. This essential oil also works wonders for many other health issues such as muscle cramps, the common cold or even the flu.
The Best Ways to Use Essential Oils
Essential oils are nature’s gift to us. However, sometimes it is not wise to apply them directly to your skin. There are better options for transmitting the healing effects from these oils to our bodies. The following list contains preferred methods of using these beneficial oils.
- One of the most popular ways to reap the benefits of therapeutic oils is by inhaling them. Yet, you can not simply snort oils into your nose. The more suggested way of taking a deep breath and taking in these oils is to add them to a diffuser or mister which will disperse the oils into the air. A more simple way to breathe them in is by dotting a few drops on a tissue or soft towel and inhaling.
- If you are a fan of soaking in a hot bath, try adding some essential oils to your bath water. Lavender oil would be amazing added to a bath. It would help reduce stress levels. It is also one of the best essential oils for skin. It is wonderful if you have skin irritations such as a rash or bug bites.
- A fantastic way to handle a headache would be to create a compress to apply to your forehead or neck. To do this, you need to take a towel or cloth and soak it in cold water. The cold water by itself, when applied to your head or neck, should help reduce headache discomfort. To improve the effects of this, try adding a couple drops of your favorite oil such as sweet basil.
- By combining natural therapeutic oils with a carrier oil, like coconut or avocado oil, you can create a concoction that will help relieve the worst of headaches. Massage the oil mixture into your temples and across your forehead and watch your headache disappear.
This guide can help you find natural solutions for your head discomfort instead of turning to potentially dangerous or fatal headache medication. Healing methods using natural oils are simple. These oils are also widely available in your local health food stores or online. Following the basic guidelines listed above will aid you on your journey to a more healthy life.