We break down each of the 24 characters, their abilities, and how they stack up to the rest of the roster.
In Genshin Impact, characters are everything. Each of the 24 currently available characters has unique elemental skills, weapons, and passive bonuses to activities like cooking and mining. While you’ll get a few to start, most will be earned through Genshin Impact’s loot boxes, called Wishes.
But how do you know if a character you just got is an MVP or a total dud? That’s where this guide comes in. Below, you’ll find a quick overview of each character and their Normal abilities categorized into a handy tier list. Characters are grouped and assigned a letter grade based on how useful they are in combat and while exploring the open world, starting with the most valuable characters in the S-tier rank. If you’re aiming to have the best party possible, then you should follow this guide closely, or, if you just want to see how your favorite characters are ranked so you can tell me that I’m wrong about them in the comments, check out the condensed tier list above.
Best Characters in Genshin impact (S,A,B,C) Tiers
GENSHIN IMPACT CHARACTERS S-TIER
- Diluc is easily one of the best DPS characters in Genshin Impact. He can deal high swaths of damage in a short amount of time.
- Venti can stun entire battalions on a moment’s notice.
- QiQi can heal your party for enormous amounts of health in a very short time and that only increases the higher her attack gets.
- Razor : If you have three sigils ready to go and activate Razor’s elemental burst, he’s an excellent 1-on-1 combatant.
- Fischl’s damage is rather lacking, but boy does she make up for it with her flexibility. You can fight foes from a distance with her bow, and Raven then easily dodge heavy attacks using her Elemental Burst.
- Keqing is a DPS that’s useful for similar reasons. In addition to her mobility, she’s able to quickly maneuver around the battlefield then go in for quick hits that deal massive damage.
GENSHIN IMPACT CHARACTERS A-TIER
- Jean mixes Venti’s crowd control with Qiqi’s healing, making her an excellent hybrid, but a lacking replacement for either.
- Xiangling produces fire at a promisingly damaging rate. Her Elemental Burst engulfs your surroundings in heavily damaging flames and stays active for far longer than seems fair.
- Chongyun’s Elemental Skill makes him especially helpful with freezing foes and making sure they continue to stay that way. Teaming him up with a hydro character will produce extremely favorable results.
- The first Traveler element you get, Anemo, is fantastic. You can combine the Elemental Skill with basically anything else for a high amount of damage, making them a great partner for non-Anemo party members.
- Xiao’s Elemental Burst transforms him into a terrifying monster that will tear through any foe, but this form also drains a hefty amount of HP, requiring a healer to be effective.
GENSHIN IMPACT CHARACTERS B-TIER
- Mona is fantastic for traversal as the only character that can run across water. Her Elemental Burst traps foes in a Hydro Bubble, making her a fantastic setup for a high-level combo.
- Barabra is a simple middle of the road healer. Her Elemental Skill is healing, but unfortunately makes her wet as well, opening Barbara up for external damage.
- Ningguang is fine at defending, but she doesn’t really do much else, making her difficult to play as on her own, but she can certainly take a few hits.
- The Geo Traveler is absolutely fine. Their attack isn’t fantastic, but they are needed to solve several puzzles and make traversal much easier.
- Klee can do a lot of damage to numerous foes. If you don’t have A-tier Pyro characters, she’ll do well in a pinch.
- Bennett is the definition of a combo character. He’s not useful on his own, but excellently sets up other characters with enviable skill.
GENSHIN IMPACT CHARACTERS C-TIER
18. Lisa (Electro, Catalyst)
19. Kaeyta (Ice, Sword)
20. Noelle (Geo, Claymore)
21. Sucrose (Anemo, Catalyst)
22. Xingqiu (Water, Sword)
23. Beidou (Electro, Claymore)
GENSHIN IMPACT CHARACTERS AMBER-TIER
24. Amber (Pyro, Bow)